10/15/2012

Broil salmon wrapped in foil (Hoiru-yaki) with miso and mayonnaise sauce



Broil something wrapped in a foil (called Hoiru-yaki, ホイル焼き) is a traditional Japanese cooking method.  In the past Japanese people wrapped with paper instead of foil but paper can burn easily so now we use foil normally.  I like Hoiru-yaki so much because I don't have to use a lot of stuff and after I put it into a oven, I don't have to pay too much attention.  It's super easy!!

Unfortunately I couldn't use a gas stove in my house because it was under construction today.  So I made a Hoiru-yaki because I could thought of only it as what I could make without gas.


Broil salmon wrapped in foil (Hoiru-yaki) with miso and mayonnaise sauce (2 serves)
  • 1/2 pound of salmon
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 potato
  • 2 Tbs of mayonnaise
  • 3/4 Tbs of miso (☆)
  • 1 tsp of sesame oil (☆)
  • 1 tbs of sugar (☆)
  • cheese
  • 1 green onion

1, Remove the scales from a salmon and cut into a half then add a bit of salt then leave for 10 minutes
2,  Cut onion and potato into thin slices and put it on the microwave for 2〜3 minutes until soft
4,  Mix (☆) very well in a small cup and cut green onion into thin slices
3,  Spread a foil and put onion and potato, salmon,  (☆) and cheese in order


4,  Fold a foil into three like this

then fold both sides tightly like this 

5,  Bake it in a oven at 400°F for 20〜25 minutes and then put green onion and red pepper (If you have)




This miso and mayonnaise sauce's taste is rich so it goes well with not only salmon but also light food like cod, sea bass, scallops… and more!

I remembered that when I was in Japan, I often made so many kind of Hoiru-yaki, especially in winter. Maybe I'll show you other kind of Hoil-yaki this fall and winter :))

No comments:

Post a Comment