10/06/2012

Japanese mustard spinach salad with dried bonito mayonnaise sauce



Do you know "dried bonito" (called Katsuo-bushi)??  It' made from just bonitos.  It takes lots of process to make it, like boiling in a huge pot, smoking, drying in the sun...and more!  The taste deserve to do the effort!!  It's like flavor (umami) itself!!




My roommate saw dried bonito shaves in my storage and said "I know this!  It's only for Dashi, right?".  No no, that's not true!!  Exactly we can make really tasty dashi soup from dried bonito.  But Japanese people use it not only for dashi but also for tofu, rice bowl, stir-fried udon and even just cooked rice!!  I mean dried bonito can easily make your food so tasty.

Even though I made stir-fried Japanese mustard spinach a couple of days ago, still I have a lot so at this time, I 'm gonna show you a recipe for salad which has lots of Japanese mustard spinach!!


Japanese mustard spinach salad with dried bonito mayonnaise sauce
  • half pound of Japanese mustard spinach
  • a carrot
  • 0.15 oz of dried bonio shaves (I just used one small pack like this.)
  • 4 Tbs of mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbs of soy sauce
  • white sesame seed
  • Japanese hot pepper
  • salt

1,  Cut Japanese mustard spinach into 2 inches length and carrot thin

2,  Boil hot water and add a bit of salt.  Blanch Japanese mustard spinach and carrot for 1 minute or so then remove from a pot and cool down with cold water immediately and squeeze tightly
3,  Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix them very well




Even though I used just simple ingredients, the taste could be so deep and complicate because dried bonito did work very well!!  I thank dried bonito for helping my cooking a lot :))



No comments:

Post a Comment