9/10/2012

Takikomi-gohan


My roommate bought a rice cooker!  Finally I can cook rice anytime I would like.  Thank you so much,  I was so happy and made takikomi-gohan as my first rice cooking in America.

I know a really really nice Japanese chef in Boston.  I am sure that he is the best chef!!  He is my cooking teacher also and teaches me  a lot of cooking.  The takikomi-gohan I made tonight is from his recipe.  I highly recommend you should try this takikomi-gohan!!


Takikomi-gohan
  • 1+3/4 cups of white rice
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 slices of chicken thigh
  • 1/2 pack of enoki mushroom
  • 3 Tbs of sugar (☆)
  • 1 Tbs of mirin (☆)
  • 4 Tbs of soy sauce (☆)
  • Edamame
Shiitake-mushroom
  • 0.5 oz of dried shiitake mushroom
  • 2 Tbs of sugar (★)
  • 1/2 Tbs of mirin (★)
  • 3 Tbs of soy sauce (★)

Shiitake-mushroom
1, Pour in just enough tepid water to cover dried shiitake mushroom and cover the surface with plastic wrap completely and leave for 1 hour 
2,  After 1 hour, make sure the shiitake mush room absorb water and became completely soft and then cut thick slice
3,  Put the shiitake mushroom in a small pot and pour in just enough water which is used for soak shiitake mushroom
4,  Heat it until boil and skim the scum then add sugar and add  (★) of sugar and mirin and cover with aluminum foil
5, After boil, add (★) of soy sauce and boil until cooking water become about half


Takikomi-gohan
1, Wash the rice and leave it in the water in the cooker for 1 hour or so
2,  Cut carrot into thinly slices, chicken thigh into bite-size chunks and enoki mushroom half
3,  Put 3 cups of water in a large pan and heat and boil
4,  Add chicken thigh to boiled water and skim the scrum carefully and then add carrot and enoki mushroom
5,  Add all of (☆) and boil until cooking water become about half
6,  Add the cooked chicken thigh, carrot, enoki mushroom and 3 Tbs of cooking water to the rice and start the rice cooker
7,  Wrap cooked shiitake mushroom in kitchen paper and wring it dry out
8,  After the rice is done, add the shiitake mushroom to cooked rice and mix them very well
9,  Serve takikomi-gohan in a bowl and put edamame on the top



Newly made Takikomi-gohan's taste is of course awesome but even though it gets cold, taste still so nice!  So I recommend takikomi-gohan for lunch box.  

Japanese people often eat takikomi-gohan especially in fall.  When I was in Japan, my mom often made takikomi-gohan with seasonal ingredients in fall.  I realized that that's why I wanted to make takikomi-gohan.  

It seems like that Boston has really beautiful red leaves in fall.  I would like to view it having a lunch box with this takikomi-gohan♪ 

No comments:

Post a Comment